The other night, Tom asked me to write down a list of things I want to do in my life (kinda like a Bucket List, but I hate that phrase). It occurred to me that almost everything I wrote had to do with “be at home, make stuff for my family, find inner peace, slow down” and my current life is mostly “work, run to a million activities, juggle and do.”
Something’s not quite right about that. I guess it has to do with my season in life; busy career, active school-aged children, blah blah blah… but it’s got me thinking about things and wondering how I can go about slowing down.
Remember that herbal studies program that I’ve been doing (halfheartedly, as of late)? Our reading last week was about finding and recognizing the simple moments of joy during the day. Timely, right? Someone must be trying to tell me something.
So on that note, I am going to try to be more present and notice those moments. Anyone want to try it with me?
A few simple joys from the past few days include:
- Listening to that sound that the waves make when they lap up against the shore.
- Washing the dishes (Am I the only one who LOVES washing the dishes and having a clean kitchen as a result?).
- Enjoying a GIANT latte every morning. Such an indulgence but sooooo worth it.
- Running into many familiar faces at Back-to-School night. I love that the boys are growing up in a close-knit community.
- The cooler weather. Fall is coming!
- Chatting with my funny guys at dinner.
- New pants that fit just right!
That wasn’t so hard!